The Wake County school system announced today five public hearings that will be held in conjunction with next week’s release of the proposed 2013-14 student assignment plan.
School administrators will present the new plan at Tuesday’s board meeting, which begins at 5:30 p.m. at 5625 Dillard Drive in Cary. The new plan is based on the directive passed in June by the school board calling for Wake to go back to assigning each address to a specific school in lieu of the choice plan used this school year.
The school board will spend several weeks receiving public comments before a scheduled vote on the final plan in late October.
The new plan will be available to view on the district’s website.
Parents can also comment at five public hearings:
* Sept. 24 at 6:30 p.m. at North Garner Middle School, 720 Powell Drive, Garner;
* Sept, 26 at 6:30 p.m. at Leesville Road High School, 8409 Leesville Road, Raleigh;
* Sept. 29 at 11 a.m. at Ligon Middle School, 706 E. Lenoir St., Raleigh;
* Oct. 4 at 6:30 p.m. at Panther Creek High School, 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary;
* Oct. 8 at 6:30 p.m. at Rolesville Middle School, 4700 Burlington Mills Road, Rolesville.
People can sign up for the hearings beginning Tuesday on the district’s website, or in person at the events. Speakers may talk for up to three minutes.