What's the possibility that the new Wake County school board majority would still unconvert some schools for 2010-11?
As noted in today's North Raleigh News article, some parents haven't given up hope that the board will switch both Leesville Road elementary and middle schools to a traditional calendar next year.
"We still feel we'd be a great guinea pig for mandatory year-round reversal next year," said Lisa Boneham, founder of Concerned and Committed Leesville Parents, in the article.
The possibility of unconverting schools for 2010 diminished after the school board pulled from last week's meeting a resolution calling for the beginning of the end of MYR in 2010-11. The lack of time to make a change after staff presents the parental survey results in April was the problem.
School board member Deborah Prickett said she's trying to organize a meeting with Leesville parents after the holidays to talk about the implications of unconversion.
"It will be close, but it still may be possible to do it next year," Prickett said in the article.
But you can expect opposition from groups such as BiggerPicture4Wake and Leesville parents who want to keep the year-round calendar.
Gary Dismukes, a Leesville Elementary parent, said they plan to keep up the pressure on the new board to leave the campus on a year-round calendar. Dismukes made waves at last week's board meeting when he said "the board's stated polices are rooted in the same small-minded and racist polices of the Jim Crow South."
"My concern is that the only reason they slowed down is the public outcry," Dismukes said in today's article. "We just need to keep on them."
(I've got some more posts running today and a few over the next week. But I won't be answering questions between Thursday and Jan. 3 while I'm out of town.)