The Lacy-Stough and Garner-Southeast Raleigh moves were approved Tuesday, but not without some melodrama.
As noted in today's article, the board majority voted 5-4 to reverse the 2009 reassignment of three nodes from Lacy Elementary School to Stough Elementary. But the vote came after Deborah Prickett objected to media coverage about how the Lacy families had given political donations to help the new board majority last fall.
Prickett called it "political" that the N&O had run a story that mentioned the contributions on the day of the board vote. She said the article gave the impression that "affluent parents aren’t supposed to have a choice."
Prickett said parents have a right to give money to whatever political organization they want to give to.
"I don’t think of this as being political," Prickett said. "I see this as a situation where parents are being forced."
The words also got heated when it came to the issue of reassigning the students from Garner High to Southeast Raleigh High.
School board chairman Ron Margiotta had previously urged board members to restrict changes on Tuesday to nodes that were either in the three-year plan or would help relieve crowding.
Board member Keith Sutton argued that the Garner High moves didn't fit the criteria as they weren't in the three-year plan. But board member John Tedesco said it would relieve crowding at Garner High.
Sutton accused the board majority of "blindsiding these families" by moving them without giving them a public hearing.
Both Debra Goldman and Prickett said they could see both sides of the issue but they backed moving the students out of Garner.