The message coming from Paul Coble, chairman of the Wake County Board of Commissioners, is that the school board can expect to get the same amount again but don't ask for more.
As noted in today's article by Jay Price, Coble said Monday that it's likely the school board will still get the $313.5 million it has gotten from the county for the past two years. He said talk at last week's retreat of trimming the allocation was just part of the kind of free-wheeling discussion and brainstorming that goes on at such events.
Coble said he had heard talk that the school board might ask for a larger allocation, even it that meant raising the county tax rate. That's an idea that's gotten more traction from the Democrats on the school board.
“The county is committed to not raising taxes on its citizens in the middle of the worst recession we’ve had in a very long time,” Coble said. “We’re probably not going to be sympathetic to a school board that comes to us and asks us to raise taxes in very difficult times.”
With Wake projected to grow by 4,000 more students this fall, no increase in county funding means the per-pupil student expenditure will continue to drop.