Do you think you can do a better job of naming schools than the school system?
On Thursday, the school board is scheduled to name E21, the new elementary school in Southeast Raleigh. The board will also hear suggestions for naming H6, the new high school in northeastern Wake.
There are some rules to consider.
Board policy officially prevents schools from being named after people.
The board now also tries to avoid naming schools after subdivisions. Families aren't happy when they're not assigned to the school that shares the same name as their subdivision.
These restrictions limit the board to "geographic location or similar site specific identifiers, such as roads, streets, natural or historical features."
For E-21, staff is recommending Sunnybrook Road Elementary because it's where you'll enter the school and helps identify the location.
The other choices are:
* Southeast Raleigh Elementary — for the area of the town it'll be in
* Walnut Creek Elementary — for the site’s proximity to Walnut Creek
The H6 choices are:
* River Bend High — for a nearby section of the Neuse River
* Forestville Road High — for the road it’ll be on
* Northeast Raleigh High — for the area of town it’ll be in
* North Wake High — for the area of the county it’ll be in