It looks like new leadership on the Wake County Board of Commissioners and school board is putting things on track for a fall 2013 school bond issue.
As noted in today's article, the leadership of both boards will meet Dec. 21 to schedule dates for four joint meetings of the full boards in early 2013 to discuss the bond.
The joint meetings have been on hold since Paul Coble, former chairman of the commissioners, canceled them following the firing of Superintendent Tony Tata.
“Hopefully everybody will see the need for a school bond issue,” said Joe Bryan, the new chairman of the board of commissioners. “There will certainly be frank discussions.”
Bryan said he contacted new school board chairman Keith Sutton last week about holding the leadership meeting. Bryan has been vocal about the need to get a bond issue on the ballot in 2013.
Bryan said he also wants to give time for the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, the group which historically leads efforts to urge public support of bond issues through the Friends of Wake committees, to get mobilized.
“We know there will be challenges,” Bryan said.
Bryan took exception to the statements that school board member Jim Martin made blaming the commissioners for mandatory year-round schools. Bryan said the planning assumptions for the last bond issue were jointly agreed to both boards.