It's looking bleak right now when it comes to determining how Wake will be impacted by the expected state budget cuts.
As noted in today's article, the end of the school year on Wednesday for traditional-calendar schools marks the start of a period of uncertainty. Hundreds of teachers will likely not be rehired. Electives, arts and AP courses are being cut for this fall.
Also add in several year-round schools that are requiring families to change tracks as they collapse whole tracks or individual sections.
There are some folks who are unhappy right now because they can't take the AP courses and non-core courses they wanted.
"Schools will be offering what they must offer," said Supt. Del Burns. "They'll look at the requests [for non-core courses] and see what they can offer."
That's what happened at Cary High, according to Principal Doug Thilman.
Thilman said the influx of new students from growth and reassignment led to more core courses that need to be offered this fall. He said that squeezed the other courses he could provide with only 95 percent of the positions able to be filled.
Thilman said he had to drop, at least for the fall semester, several AP courses and drama classes. The school is now sharing a drama teacher with Wake Forest-Rolesville Middle School instead of having a full-time person.
A new group called the Wake Arts Equity Organization was formed to protest cuts in arts programs.
What might be scarier is that Burns is warning that more changes could be in store after the school year starts.
"The principals are working with the very best information we have," Burns said. "They don't want to have to reorganize after the school year starts. But this may be one of those years that we've never seen before."
Click here for a letter from Burns that was sent to parents last week warning about the potential changes.
Imagine having to change teachers, tracks and class schedules after the first day of school.