It's not much of an understatement that the release of the round two results for the Wake County student assignment plan could have gone better.
As noted in today's article, the plan to get the results up by Thursday afternoon fell through. By the time it was finally up around 6:20 p.m., it was soon shut down for several hours because of glitches reported by parents.
The problems will likely give critics of the new choice plan more ammunition as they argue that it was rushed through without proper implementation.
Superintendent Tony Tata will face questions at today's previously scheduled press briefing.
Amid all the confusion, about the one group of people who can be sure about the new results are those who were personally contacted by the school system on Thursday. This includes people like Ellen Nightingale, who was among the parents of the 221 students who didn't have an assignment after round one.
"It’s a diluted victory,” Nightingale said. “It was so hard to get through it.”
Nightingale said she's happy to get into Conn Elementary School. But she said the process of waiting for an assignment has left some children feeling they're not wanted by the school system.
Michael Thompson did get an assignment for his sons after round one. But after his kids were split between two different elementary schools, he made a fuss with school officials.
Thompson said he received a call Thursday from Tata saying both his children were now at Sycamore Creek Elementary. His youngest son had been on the waiting list for the school.
“It was ridiculous they had us go through this,” Thompson said. “If they had flipped the switch on the program a month ago, we wouldn’t have had to suffer the way we did.”