It looks like Wake County will notify families earlier about their options for transferring out of schools not meeting federal No Child Left Behind requirements.
School administrators will present to the school board today the transfer options for 19 Title I schools that may have to provide school choice under NCLB for the 2010-11 school year.
Last year, Wake faced complaints that it wasn't following NCLB guidelines requiring parental notification of transfer choices 14 days before the start of the new school year. Administrators said then that they'd provide earlier notification for this year.
In 2009, staff officially presented the choices to the board on Aug. 4.
In the case of Barwell Road Elementary last year, which had to provide choice no matter what happened, families couldn't begin applying June 29. Barring any changes this year, families will be able to apply even sooner.
Looking at this year's list, staff says choice options were based on potential impact on the profile of the receiving school, transportation patterns and available space.
Since potential profile basically means impact on socioeconomics, we'll see if board members raise questions today.
How all this changes in the future remains to be seen as the Obama Administration works its overhaul of No Child Left Behind.
The board approved the list without any changes.