During a radio interview on Friday, UNC coach Roy Williams said Reggie Bullock, P.J. Hairston and James Michael McAdoo are enjoying college and are hungry to do more. ROBERT WILLETT
CHAPEL HILL -- North Carolina is still awaiting word on whether Reggie Bullock, P.J. Hairston and James Michael McAdoo will return to school or forego their eligibility to enter the NBA draft. But Tar Heels coach Roy Williams during a radio interview on Friday provided some optimism that all might return to UNC.
Speaking with Taylor Zarzour on WFNZ in Charlotte, Williams said “it’s still up in the air,” whether Bullock, Hairston and McAdoo would return.
“But we're much much closer to having all of them back than we were last year,” Williams said.
At the end of the 2011-12 season, Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Kendall Marshall all left UNC early to enter the NBA draft. Those three, along with the departed senior center Tyler Zeller, were all selected among the top 17 picks in the NBA draft.
Amid the loss of their top four players from a season ago, the Tar Heels struggled in November and December. But they were at their best during the final month of the season, after Williams began using a four-guard starting lineup that included Hairston, a 6-foot-5 guard, at power forward.
Hairston averaged more than 18 points per game after he became a permanent starter in mid-February. Bullock and McAdoo both averaged about 14 points per game. Of the three, only McAdoo has been projected as a first-round pick in the NBA draft.
“They are all enjoying school, they are all still hungry to do more and there is nobody that is a guaranteed top-10 pick,” Williams said. “We still have to continue going through the process, allowing those guys to make decisions, and in my mind some of them have already been made just about, but we're going to wait until all three are done so we can just have one announcement.”