P.J. Hairston still hasn't made a decision about whether to return to North Carolina, his mother said on Sunday. ROBERT WILLETT
CHAPEL HILL — Wendy Poteat, the mother of North Carolina sophomore guard P.J. Hairston, refuted on Sunday a report that her son had made up his mind to return to school for his junior season.
“We are still in the process and once the decision is made it will be announced by UNC,” Poteat said during a phone interview.
Citing "sources," Jeff Goodman, a national college basketball reporter for CBSSports.com, reported through his Twitter account that Hairston had decided to return.
Poteat, though, dismissed those sources.
“I’m not exactly who the source is,” she said. “It was not P.J. It was not myself. Those are the two most important people. … I’d like to find out who knows more about my son than I do.”
Hairston, one of the best 3-point shooters in the ACC last season, averaged more than 18 points per game after he entered the starting lineup in mid-February. His production amid his increased playing time was one of the primary reasons for the Tar Heels’ improved play during the final month of the season.
In addition to Hairston, neither James Michael McAdoo nor Reggie Bullock have announced whether they will return to school next season. UNC coach Roy Williams during a radio interview last week sounded optimistic that all three might return.
“We're much much closer to having all of them back than we were last year,” Williams said during an interview with Taylor Zarzour on WFNZ in Charlotte.
Williams said that UNC wouldn't make an announcement about the decisions of Bullock, Hairston and McAdoo until all three had made up their minds.