In 1915, the Guilford County Commissioners appropriated funding for free services to county residents living outside the Greensboro city limits. In addition to opening library use to rural residents and offering telephone and mail service, the library placed stations in various places, including post offices, each with a bookshelf holding 50 books. The postmasters often served as librarians. Greensboro was the first public library south of Maryland to take books to rural residents. This is the book deposit station at the post office in Jamestown.