What "un-green" behavior do Americans feel most guilty about? A new national survey discovers wasting food tops the list.
The annual survey, called Eco Pulse, finds a whopping 39 percent of Americans feel guilty about wasting food.
The survey polled 1,013 Americans, and asked the question "Which (if any) of these things do you feel guilty about?"
Here are the top answers:
- Wasting food: 39%
- Leaving lights on when I leave a room: 29%
- Wasting water: 27%
- Not unplugging chargers/electronics when not in use: 22%
- Not recycling things: 21%
- Forgetting reusable shopping bags: 20%
- Letting the water run while brushing teeth, washing dishes, etc.: 20%
Americans' bottom answers:
- Running dishwasher when it's not full: 10%
- Not making energy-efficient home improvements: 10%
- Washing clothes or dishes on hottest setting: 9 %
- Not buying CFLs or LEDs: 9%
- Not sticking to an energy-efficient thermostat setting: 7%
- Using chemical lawn or plant fertilizers: 6%
- Not being careful about when/how long I water the grass: 6%
The Eco Pulse survey was conducted by marketing communications firm Shelton Group. Learn more about the survey here.