The City of Durham will be hosting a paper-shredding, e-waste and Christmas tree recycling event on Saturday, Jan. 14, at the Sears parking lot at Northgate Mall.
Nearly all electronics with a cord will be accepted for recycling, including:
- Computers, laptops, keyboards, mice, printers, monitors, speakers, copiers, scanners, circuit boards, hard drives, computer parts, etc.
- Televisions, stereo equipment, tape players, receivers, amplifiers, record players, etc.
- Kitchen electronics, such as microwaves, mixers, blenders, choppers, etc.
- Telephones, cell phones, and fax machines
- Hair dryers, curling irons, alarm clocks, and vacuum cleaners
- Power tools, cordless tools, etc.
- Electronic toys, such as keyboards and video game systems
Paper accepted for shredding may contain paper clips and staples, but hanging file folders will not be accepted.
As for trees, those taller than six feet must be cut in half, and all decorations and hardware — including tinsel, lights, garlands, nails and stands — must be removed.
Large appliances, refrigerators, air conditioners or anything with freon will not be accepted at this event.
The event, which is free and open to area residents and businesses, will be held from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information about items accepted at this event or Durham’s recycling facilities, call (919) 560-1200 or visit the website.