Durham County's General Services Department is offering a free paper shredding and e-waste recycling event in celebration of Earth Month 2011.
Durham County residents and businesses can safely dispose of electronics and confidential documents at the event, which will be held on Saturday, April 9, at the Rougemont Ruritan Club located at 212 Bacon Rd., Rougemont, from 8 a.m. to noon.
Most electronic devices with a cord are accepted including:
▪ Computers, laptops, keyboards, mouse, printers, monitors, speakers, copiers, scanners, circuit boards, hard drives, computer parts, etc.
▪ TVs, stereo equipment, tape players, receivers, amplifiers, and record players
▪ Kitchen electronics such as microwaves, mixers, blenders, choppers, etc.
▪ Telephones, cell phones, and fax machines
▪ Hair dryers, curling irons, alarm clocks and vacuum cleaners
▪ Power tools, cordless tools, etc.
▪ Electronic toys, such as keyboards and video game systems
Citizens are asked to not bring refrigerators, air conditioners or any other appliances that contain Freon.
When dropping off paper for shredding, residents do not have to remove paper clips and staples, however file folders will not be accepted.
For more information about this event, contact solid waste program manager Brian Haynesworth at (919) 560-0433 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.