I'm back after the three-day holiday weekend and I've got a bunch of events to mention:
- Elaine's on Franklin in Chapel Hill is offering a special Peregrine Farm dinner menu Wednesday, Sept. 8 from 5:30-9:30 p.m. The cost is $45 for five pepper-inspired courses including chili relleno with local goat cheese, black beans, cotija, cilantro and salsa verde and for dessert, lemon-verbena and jalapeno sorbet. For reservations, call 960-2770.
- Sherri Brooks Vinton, author of "Put 'Em Up!," will be at Flyleaf Books in Chapel HIll tonight at 7 p.m. and teaching a class at A Southern Season at 6 p.m. Wednesday. If you wanted to learn more about canning and preserving, this is your opportunity. If you want to sign up for the class, call 929-7133. The class costs $35.
- Herons at the Umstead Hotel in Cary reopens today after an extensive kitchen renovation. They will start serving lunch and breakfast today, and dinner Thursday.
- Dos Perros hosts the occasional movie night in its private room. At 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 8, they are showing "Like Water for Chocolate," and chef Charlie Deal will be serving up five courses.The meal costs $30. Call 956-2750 for a reservation.
- If you don't want to watch the movie, Dos Perros is hosting a five-course beer dinner at 7 p.m. Wednesday featuring brews from Stone Brewery. It costs $45. Call 956-2750 for a reservation.
- The Old Granary at Fearrington is hosting a three course beer dinner at 7 p.m. Thursday featuring beers from Carolina Brewing. The cost is $45. Call 542-2121 for a reservation.