The James Beard Foundation's book awards committee released a list of 14 Great Reads for Food Lovers for the 14 weeks between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Full disclosure: I'm on the book awards committee and this list was a lot of fun to produce. What is great is that there are books on here that I've never read and now can dig into this summer. Happy reading!
- "The Art of Eating" by M. F. K. Fisher (John Wiley & Sons)
- "Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris" by A.J. Liebling (North Point Press)
- "Blood, Bones & Butter" by Gabrielle Hamilton (Random House)
- "Day of Honey: A Memoir of Food, Love, and War" by Annia Ciezadlo (Free Press)
- "A Debt to Pleasure" by John Lanchester (Picador)
- "An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace" by Tamar Adler (Scribner)
- "The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food" by Jennifer 8. Lee (Twelve)
- "Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany" by Bill Buford (Vintage)
- "Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen" by Laurie Colwin (Vintage)
- "The Man Who Ate Everything" by Jeffrey Steingarten (Vintage)
- "Oranges" by John McPhee (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
- "The Oysters of Locmariaquer" by Eleanor Clark (Ecco Press)
- "Simple Cooking" by John Thorne (North Point Press)
- "The Tummy Trilogy" by Calvin Trillin (Farrar, Straus, & Giroux)