Crosstown Traffic

Choose a blog

Where are the Triangle's bad potholes?

Bookmark and Share

There's a scary one not far from my house. After this past week's snow and ice, this baby is big enough to swallow a Honda Insight or a large house pet. [1/28/9: see update below.]

View Larger Map I've marked it on this collaborative map. Why don't you open up the map and mark the locations of your pet pothole, too? If you want to add a pothole, you must have a (free) Google (Gmail etc) account.

While you're looking at the map, log into your Google account, and click the Edit button next to the map. Then drag the map to the locale of your pothole.

Click a placemark icon in the top left corner, drag it to your pothole spot, and drop it. Replace "Placemark x" label with streetname. Type in the descriptive details. Click Done, and your pothole has been added to the map.

If you can't mark it on the map, let me know in a comment below where your bad pothole is.

Damas Church Road potholeMine is on Damascus Church Road in southern Orange County, at a dip in the road that always has standing water after a rainfall. Hence its perennial potholiness.

[Wed 1/28/9: After last week's snow, this became a gaping hole maybe 16 inches wide, 5 inches deep and a few feet long. This photo was shot Sunday.

[On Monday, NCDOT's Orange County maintenance crew patched this big hole in response my e-mail request. But by Tuesday, the patch had failed! The hole had returned!

[Wednesdy morning, this part of the road was covered in standing water.]

Call it in

City and state road crews split the job of pothole patching. If you happen to contact the wrong folks, they’ll relay your message to the right place.

RALEIGH: Call city street maintenance at 831-6446 or e-mail

CARY: Call town public works and utilities at 469-4090 or e-mail

DURHAM: Call the city pothole hotline at 560-1177 or click the online request form at

CHAPEL HILL: Call town public works at 968-2796 or send e-mail to

FOR RURAL AND OTHER STATE-MAINTAINED ROADS: Call state Department of Transportation customer service: 1-877-368-4968.

Or contact the DOT maintenance office in your county. Online at go to “Road Report” and click the drop-down menu to choose your county. You’ll get an online form for reporting your pothole problem.

Cars View All
Find a Car
Jobs View All
Find a Job
Homes View All
Find a Home

Want to post a comment?

In order to join the conversation, you must be a member of Click here to register or to log in.

About the blogger

Bruce Siceloff reports on traffic and transportation. A News & Observer reporter, editor and blogger since 1976, he took over the Road Worrier column in 2003. Lately he drives I-40 with the cruise control set at 68 mph. You can e-mail Bruce, call him at 919-829-4527, check out his Crosstown Traffic blog or follow him (@Road_Worrier) on Twitter.