Looking for new bus routes and better regional transit service? Comment on Triangle Transit's Short-Range Transit plan Wednesday, and join a public forum on Wake County's transit future Thursday.
WakeUP Wake County, a nonprofit group that promotes discussion of growth and development issues, is sponsoring a free public forum Thursday evening on "Transit: Is Wake County Ready for It?" The event is from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at the McKimmon Center on Western Boulevard, Raleigh.
The Triangle Transit trustees will hold a public hearing on their Short-Range Transit Plan, to set priorities for the next five years, at 1:10 p.m. Wednesday. The hearing is at Triangle Transit headquarters, 68 T.W. Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park.
Read the Triangle Transit plan and offer your comments online at www.triangletransit.org/srtp. Along with other improvements, it includes new service for:
* Wake Forest - Downtown Raleigh (beginning July 7)
* Zebulon / Wendell / Knightdale - Wake Medical Center - Downtown Raleigh
* Fuquay-Varina - Wake Tech - Downtown Raleigh
* Clayton / Garner - Downtown Raleigh
* Pittsboro - UNC
* North Raleigh - RTP
* Burlington / Mebane / Hillsborough - Duke - Downtown Durham
* Person County Line - Durham Regional Hospital - Duke - Downtown Durham
* Holly Springs / Apex / Cary - NCSU - Downtown Raleigh
* Downtown Raleigh - RDU Airport (direct service)
The WakeUP Wake County forum Thursday night features a panel discussion with local civic, business and government leaders, and talks by Carol Coletta, president of the Chicago-based CEOs for Cities, and Keith Parker, CEO of the Charlotte Area Transit System.