View 4-Way Stop: Old Raleigh Rd @ MacKenan Drive, Cary in a larger map
Next week NCDOT will convert a Cary intersection -- Old Raleigh Road at MacKenan Drive, just south of the Auto Mall and U.S. 64 -- to a 4-way stop.
Drivers on MacKenan now stop at that corner. New signs will be installed to make drivers on Old Raleigh stop, too.
Who goes first? It depends first on who gets there first and second on who is to whose right. DOT offers helpful reminders on the proper etiquette at 4-way stop intersections.
As drivers approach the intersection, they are advised to follow these right of way rules:
· The first vehicle to the intersection has the right of way ahead of any vehicle that has not yet arrived;
· When two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the vehicle to the right has the right of way;
· The vehicle with the right of way may move straight ahead or, if legal and after signaling, turn left or right;
· When two facing vehicles approach an intersection at the same time, both drivers can move straight ahead or turn right. If one driver is going straight while the other wants to turn left, the driver who wants to turn left must yield. The driver who is traveling straight ahead has the right of way; and
· Even with the right of way, remember to use the appropriate turn signals and be careful to avoid hitting other vehicles and/or pedestrians.