The back-to-school deals have begun.
I haven't yet seen any of the insanely cheap deals we've had in the past, such as penny packs of notebook paper or crayons for a nickel.
But how about 10-cent glue sticks? Or a 24-pack of crayons for 20 cents?
They were among the deals I spotted this morning in the back-to-school section at Target.
In the next several weeks, watch for dueling deals from Target, WalMart and Staples, among others. Last year, even the drug stores got into the back-to-school business offering free supplies with their rewards programs.
If you don't have kids, think office supplies or donations to charity. It is truly the best time to stock up on the classic school supplies, as well as things like envelopes, paper clips, staplers and sticky notes.
As I walked the aisles of Target today, there were plenty of moms with kids in tow, filling their carts. I suspect they were preparing for the impending start of year-round school.
For under a buck, here are some of the deals to be had:
- 20 cents: a 2-pack of glue sticks, a 24-pack of crayons or a 4 oz. bottle of glue, all Rose Art brand.
- 40 cents: a 2-pack of Elmer's glue sticks, a 4 oz. bottle of Elmer's glue or a 24-pack of Crayola crayons.
- 50 cents: a wooden ruler or an 8-pack of pencils.
- 75 cents: a 10-pack of Rose Art markers.
- 99-cents: a 10-pack of Crayola markers.
Target also has eight new coupons for school supplies that you can print here. They're good through July 19.
Among the highlights:
- $1/2 Bic writing utensils. Use this to get two 10-packs of pens for $1.
- .50/1 Scotch tape: This will make a roll of tape 50 cents.
- $1/1 Sharpie permanent marker. A two-pack is $1.84, which means you'll pay just 84 cents for two.
- $1.50 off a Mead binder. This will be a great coupon to use when these go on sale. Regular prices range from $10 to $20.