Investigators in Iredell County are still sifting the ashes of an Oct. 30 house fire that burned a garage where a Chevy Volt's battery was being charged, but Duke Energy and Progress Energy say it appears neither the plug-in car nor its plugged-in charger was to blame.
The fire sparked concern for both Charlotte-based Duke and Raleigh-based Progress, which have installed free home charging stations in pilot programs for customers who drive Volts and other electric cars.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an investigation last week to determine the risk of fire after a Chevy Volt battery is damaged in a crash (see Road Worrier column with reader comments). Bloggers across the country have speculated that faulty plug-in technology started the Oct. 30 house fire.
Damage was estimated at $800,000 for the $1.5 million house near Mooresville, where the Volt and a Nissan SUV were destroyed. The homeowner was one of 65 customers enrolled in Duke's home-charger program.