Southern Season's cooking school has a series of classes to help with menu inspiration for the holiday season. Here are a few of the classes:
- 6 p.m. Nov. 8, Justin and Katie Meddis of the future Rose's Meat Market and Sweet Shop in Durham are teaching a Thanksgiving class. The menu includes pork pie, cornbread dressing, fresh cured ham and roasted beets and tarte tatin. It costs $35.
- 5 p.m. Nov. 14, Katie Coleman of Durham Spirits Co. will teach a class on holiday pies and tarts. The class includes instruction on how to make flaky pie crusts, pate brisee and pate sucree, plus walnut streusel pumpkin pie, spiced apple and cranberry pie, bourbon-laced chocolate pecan pie and pear and dried cherry custard tart. The cost is $45.
- 6 p.m. Nov. 17, David Hirsch of the famous Moosewood vegetarian restaurant is teaching a Thanksgiving class. The vegetarian menu includes creamy chestnut soup, a crisp autumn salad, stuffed squash, yams with crystallized ginger and dried fruit and for dessert, hazelnut truffles. It costs $55.
- 2 p.m. Nov. 18, Hirsch will teach how to make a holiday vegetarian feast with the following menu: potato florentine soup, avocado citrus salad, polenta lasagna, figs baked with pistachio and chevre, red cabbage and cranberries and chocolate cherry rugelach. The class costs $55.
- 5 p.m. Nov. 19, the cooking school staff will teach holiday fun food, including sparkling wine cocktails, brisket tacos with guacamole and lime crema, penne pasta with easy chicken sausage and pesto, and milanos for dessert. The cost is $45.
The gourmet food and housewares store is at Chapel Hill's University Mall. To see the full class schedule, go to www.southernseason.com. To register, go online or call 919-929-7133.