The high school sports season is winding down, so consider this one of our final Outer Loop Sports Shows for the 2009-10 athletic year. This week myself, Chris Edwards and D. Clay Best discuss:
- That pesky Fuquay-Varina softball team still has a chance to go to Walnut Creek — again!
- What a wacky East Regional baseball bracket it's been. Of the final four teams — none of them finished higher than third in their conference! Clay has seen Laney and Rose over the past two years while I talk about the two Tri-Nine squads, Apex and Lee County.
- Speaking of Apex, kudos to Mike Valder for getting his team to the fourth round. Four straight years, his teams have made it to at least the third round, despite the talent level seemingly dipping each year. Bottom line: don't count out a coach who has the playoff structure figured out.
- A lot of local flavor at the track & field championships. State records were set by the Cary 4x800 team and Panther Creek's Cassie Crawford.
- My Tri-Nine players of the week were Holly Springs pitcher Erica Nunn for her no-hitter in the second round and Panther Creek pole vaulter Cassie Crawford for her state record she set — in the rain no less! Crawford has four pole vault titles, two indoor and two outdoor. Which begs the question... why are we pole vaulting in the rain?
- I also add a little bit about Cary's new AD.
To view the Outer Loop Sports Show, just click here.