This Carnegie building, no longer in existence, housed the library from 1906 to 1939. The library was segregated, and a Carnegie building for the African-American population opened in 1924. Greensboro had the second bookmobile in the state (Durham had the first in 1923). In 1926, Greensboro’s library obtained a Dodge truck, with a charging desk formed by letting down the back of the truck. The library won fame when the Saturday Evening Post ran an article about the use of the local dog tax to fund bookmobile service.
Along with the two in Greensboro, public libraries in Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Rutherford College, Hendersonville, Andrews, Murphy, Durham, and Hickory were built with Carnegie funds. In addition to this building, the Carnegie libraries in Andrews, Charlotte, and Rutherford College have been torn down. The surviving buildings are no longer used as libraries.
Reading room in Charlotte's Carnegie Library.