By a 5-4 vote, the Wake County school board rejected an effort today to drop consideration of 20 moves in the 2011-12 student reassignment plan.
After reviewing the first 48 of the 68 items on the plan, board member Kevin Hill called for stopping work there with the exception of also looking at the Carpenter Village moves. He said they had already covered all the things relating to the three-year plan and dealing with crowding that were recommended by staff.
But other board members objected, saying they had gotten comment on items 49 through 68 on the plan. These items are supposed to be things that were brought up last year.
The swing vote was vice chairwoman Debra Goldman, who said they had to consider the last 20 items because they had taken public comment on them. She joined the other Republicans with chairman Ron Margiotta breaking the tie.
By a 5-4 vote, the board approved item 62 to have Bedford students be reassigned from Heritage High back to Wakefield High.
The Republicans cited how the parents want to return to Wakefield while the Democrats pointed to crowding concerns if they return.
Here's the summary of today's changes.
The board agreed to consider adding 88 students, who will get notices to speak at next Tuesday's board meeting before the final vote. The adds are
* Reassigning 76 students in Node 504 from Creech Road Elementary to Aversboro Elementary.
* Reassigning 12 students from Node 312.5 (The Woods of Tiffany subdivision) from Millbrook High to Sanderson High.
Rhe board agreed today to drop today these 710 students:
* The reassignment of 97 students from Centennial, East Millbrook and West Millbrook middle schools to Daniels Middle School.
* The reassignment of 220 students from the Breckenridge subdivision in Morrisville from Cedar Fork Elementary to Green Hope Elementary. This also means they'll leave in place the enrollment cap at Cedar Fork.
* The reassignment of 41 students from Wildwood Forest Elementary to Wilburn Elementary.
* The reassignment of 12 students from Durant Road Elementary to Wilburn Elementary.
* The reassignment of 41 students from Mills Park Elementary to Cary Elementary.
* The reassignment of 118 students from Millbrook High to Knightdale High.
* The reassignment of six students from Athens Drive High to Broughton High.
* The reassignment of 46 students from Jeffreys Grove Elementary to Sycamore Creek Elementary.
* The reassignment of 44 students from Forestville Elementary to Harris Creek Elementary.
* The reassignment of 70 students from Southeast Raleigh High to Sanderson High.
*The reassignment of 15 students from Southeast Raleigh High to Enloe High.
The board now plans to meet from noon to 1:30 p.m. instead of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday to resume work on the reassignment plan. School board chairman Ron Margiotta says he'll bring up converting Highcroft Drive Elementary, Salem Elementary and Salem Middle back to a traditional calendar.
I'm likely not going to be adding new blog posts for the rest of the week while I focus on a project. I'm going to try tonight to finish adding more details to today's blog posts.