From the rafters of the newfangled Boston Garden, by Luke DeCock and Chip Alexander, to you:
• Cam Ward is playing his 31st playoff game, breaking the franchise record held by ... wait for it ... Arturs Irbe.
• First-period highlight: Chad LaRose bouncing off Zdeno Chara, 11 inches taller and 74 pounds heavier, when he tried to hit him.
• Tuomo Ruutu drew the loudest "oohs" of the opening period after his collision with the crossbar with 11:18 left. Ruutu was on a rush with Jussi Jokinen and crashed the net looking for a pass in front.
Instead he was shoved into the crossbar, hitting chest level and knocking it off its pegs. The replay was shown three times on the Jumbotron. The crowd roared with each replay, with Ruutu looking up at the last one as if to see what all the excitement was about.
• You almost have to see the Bruins Zdeno Chara in person to really get a feel for how big a presence he is on the ice. On one play, he got tangled up with Eric Staal near the Bruins goal and fell on top of Staal. You could barely see any of No. 12's jersey or body below him.
• The Bruins' first goal came so early and with such ease it may have knocked some of the edge off the No. 1 seeds. The Canes finished the period with more shots and had some quality scoring chances leading up to Jokinen's goal.