The David Tanabe saga with the Carolina Hurricanes has ended. So has Tanabe's hockey career, according to his agent.
Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that the team had reached a settlement with the defenseman that will pay the former first-round draft pick $850,000 over the next three years.
Neil Sheehy, Tanabe's agent, said the player had been advised by doctors that it would be dangerous to continue playing hockey.
"His career is over," Sheehy said. "The reality of it is the doctors told him not to play and he will not play. He will not be signing with a European team or any other team. His career has ended."
Tanabe missed the last 49 games last season because of an apparent concussion in a Dec. 18 game against Toronto. The Canes sought to buy out the last year of his contract after the season, but Tanabe's injured status led to a grievance being filed by the NHL Players Association.
The Hurricanes had requested an arbitration hearing this month to resolve the issue, but Rutherford said today it was not needed as the two sides were able to reach a settlement. Tanabe, who would have been owed $900,000 this season by the Hurricanes, becomes an unrestricted free agent, Rutherford said.
"Everything has been taken care of," Rutherford said.
Jonathan Weatherdon, an NHLPA spokesman, said the process is still ongoing and "not 100 percent finalized" but that the settlement on the grievance filed by the NHLPA on Tanabe's behalf was "close" to being accepted by the NHLPA and the NHL.
There are no CBA issues to be resolved, in that both sides reached a settlement on the grievance before going to arbritration.
Sheehy confirmed the terms of the settlement, noting, "Everything is all set."