Durham County, like towns and counties all over North Carolina, are tightening their belts in the face of an ailing economy. Nevertheless, Durham and the state's other 99 counties have sent Santa Claus letters to Gov.-elect Beverly Perdue in case they can take advantage of some economic-revival program next year.
Durham's wish list totaled $158,135,750:
- School Construction 13 projects $20,118,580.00
- Water/Waste Water Projects 3 projects $16,000,000.00
- Court Facilities 1 project $4,449.174.00
- Jails & Public Safety Facilities 1 project $6,712,475.00
- Other County Buildings 1 project $102,975,510.00
- Recreation Facilities 2 projects $7,880,000.00
In this case, of course, Santa is us taxpayers — if not this generation's, hey! There's plenty more to come.
Ho ho ho.