February 1 is the deadline for entries for the Doris Betts Fiction Prize.
Here are the details:
Eligibility and Guidelines
1. The competition is open to any writer who is a legal resident of North Carolina or a member of North Carolina Writers Network (NCWN).
2. Entrants should submit two copies of a typed, original, and unpublished story, not to exceed 2,500 words.
3. Names should not appear on manuscripts, but on a separate cover sheet with the author's name, address, telephone numbers, email address, and ms. title.
4. One entry per writer.
5. Entries will not be returned; enclose a SASE or email address for a list of winners.
6. An entry fee must accompany manuscript. You may pay the member entry fee if you join NCWN with your submission: $10/NCWN members, $15/non-members.
Send submissions, indicating name of competition to:
Margaret Bauer, Editor
NC Literary Review
Department of English
The Doris Betts Fiction Prize awards the first- and second-place winners with prizes of $200 and $100 respectively. Winners and finalists will be considered for publication in the North Carolina Literary Review. Questions may be directed to Margaret Bauer, editor of the North Carolina Literary Review, via email at BauerM@ecu.edu.
Winners will be announced in April.